vendredi 28 août 2009

So you say you LOVE "Inglourious Basterds"



Fabio Arciniegas A., San Diego California August 2009

7 commentaires:

  1. I love how pompous you were in the making of this chart. I genuinely thought it was a damn good movie.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Ce commentaire a été supprimé par l'auteur.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Sometimes you have to out-snob snobbery to make the point.
    I'd be happy to hear any new argument for it, but so far, this pretty much covers it.

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. My argument? I was entertained heavily by it. It wasn't the kind of makes-you-cringe gory stuff, though that was sometimes funny in addition to disgusting, but it was (I thought) nicely paced, nicely acted, and nicely spoken (I enjoyed much of the dialog). The opening and semi-final scenes stuck out to me as particularly good, though the movie never had me checking my watch or wondering what time it was. When I walked out of the theater, there was this 85-year-old Jewish couple in the back who were just grinning ear to ear. I loved how the people were getting shot as they were getting blown up as they were getting burned.

    I also don't see why I've got to justify my liking of a movie. I liked V for Vendetta, for example. It had only about three action scenes. The dialog and atmosphere in that, as well as this, held me through it.

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Once you leave the yes/no format, it leaves all merit behind. so the whole second half is pointless really.

    What's wrong with REALLY liking only 3 scenes when they're 20m to half an hour each?

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. Aaron says:
    "I also don't see why I've got to justify my liking of a movie. I liked V for Vendetta"

    You don't, Aaron. But thanks for the comments!

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. Vianney says:
    "Once you leave the yes/no format, it leaves all merit behind"

    Reminds me of:
    - That's not fair, Lebowsky!
    - Fair? who's the nihilist here?

    ----
    Vianney says:
    "What's wrong with REALLY liking only 3 scenes when they're 20m to half an hour each?"

    Lets play with that. Lets say you could see your ranking of the movie as a ratio between how much you REALLY liked those 60 minutes vs how much you just tolerated the other 90.

    60*(really liked)/90*(didn't)

    In order to make a movie barely passable you have to have a ratio of 1. Whether that modest 1 is achieved given that you have to
    tolerate at least 50% more time of padding is questionable, let alone
    whether the ratio is anything remotely close to 10 like Pulp Fiction (and therefore worthy of phrases like "a great pure tarantino
    ride").

    Check this out by the way, you might get a kick out of it:
    http://www.theonion.com/content/news/next_tarantino_movie_an_homage_to

    And thanks for the comment.


    Lets play with that. Lets say you could see your ranking of the movie as a ratio between how much you REALLY liked those 60 minutes vs how much you REALLY just tolerated the bore of the other 90.

    Say that in order to make a movie barely passable you have to have a ratio of 1 (the minutes of liking at least compensate for the minutes

    RépondreSupprimer